Makeup for Men: How to apply BB cream
BB creams are the unsung heroes of men's makeup and are especially good for men beginning their skincare and cosmetics journey. BB creams provide a number of the same benefits of a foundation yet are virtually undetectable and can be your new best kept secret, if you learn how to apply it properly…
What is a BB cream?
So before you find out how to apply a BB cream, you need a quick intro into what a BB cream actually is…
A BB cream (stands for Blemish Balm or Beauty Balm), is somewhere in between a moisturiser and a foundation - now, don’t let the F word scare you off. Even though there is colour pigment in a BB cream, it is much lighter and more discreet than a foundation meaning that no one will even know you are wearing it.
With this is mind, BB creams are a great natural-looking way to even out your skin tone and reduce the appearance of blemishes to give a clear skin effect.
How to apply BB cream
Applying BB cream can be daunting if you’ve never used cosmetics before, to ensure a completely natural look, use the following method to apply your BB cream:
- Wash your face
- Squeeze a small amount onto the back of your hand (less is more)
- Use a finger to dab a small amount of the product evenly all over your face including chin, cheeks, nose and forehead
- Once you’ve got the BB cream dotted around your face gently massage into your skin with the tips of your fingers until it is all blended in
- Avoid getting the BB cream in your eyes and also keep the product out of any facial hair, eyebrows and sideburns
What’s the difference between a BB cream and a foundation
Although BB creams are often compared to foundations, there are a number of fundamental differences between the two products:
Coverage: BB creams provide a much more subtle coverage than foundation
Skincare: BB creams provide other long term benefits to the skin like hydration and anti-ageing where as a lot of foundations do not
Cost effective: BB creams can be applied as a stand alone product whereas foundations require primers and also setting products like powders
Blendable: BB creams have smaller shade ranges than foundations as they can be more easily blended
Benefits of wearing a BB cream
There are a number of reasons why men should start using a BB cream:
- BB creams are super quick and easy to apply and can be blended in using just your fingertips
- They can be used on their own so you don’t need to spend money on lots of other complementing products
- BB creams contain other skincare ingredients which can benefit the health of your skin in the long run
- Due to their light coverage BB creams give a completely natural finish
- BB creams reduce the appearance of redness, blemishes and dark circles giving skin a healthier and clearer appearance
- BB creams contain SPF meaning that your skin will be protected from the damaging affects of UV rays from the sun
A final tip for using BB cream
Remove your BB cream before going to bed! Even though BB cream feels lightweight and it can be easy to forget that you are wearing it, you must cleanse your face properly with a face wash to prevent blocking your pores and causing breakouts.
If you’re not sure how to cleanse your face properly, follow our simple 4 step skincare routine for men.