WHAT IS A FACE SERUM AND SHOULD EVERY MAN USE ONE?
Often an overlooked step of many men's skincare routines, face serums are the ultimate multi-tasking powerhouse of the skincare world and help to achieve clearer, healthier and more youthful-looking skin.
Keep reading to understand why you and every other man needs a face serum in their everyday skincare routine.
WHAT IS A FACE SERUM?
Face serums are a lightweight skincare product that are packed full of active ingredients to give a nourishing boost to your skin. More watery than a moisturiser, face serums have a thicker consistency than a toner and should be used alongside your usual skincare routine.
Just so you know… active ingredients = good.
They are the ingredients within a product that have been scientifically proven to work. For other common skincare definitions read our beginners skincare glossary.
BENEFITS OF FACE SERUMS FOR MEN
Face serums are frequently missed in men's skincare routines and whilst skipping the serum has never killed anyone, if you want your skin to be looking and feeling its best then it’s time to add it to your daily routine.
Benefits of men using a face serum can include:
- Reducing the signs of ageing
- Boosting collagen and limiting the appearance of wrinkles
- Stimulating production of new and healthy skin cells
- Soothing sensitive or problematic skin
- Hydrating the skin (although should not replace moisturising)
FACE SERUM IN MEN'S SKINCARE ROUTINES
In an easy daily men's skincare routine; a face serum should be step 3. Coming just after toner but before moisturising.
A simple but effective 4 step skincare routine for men with serum:
Step 1: Cleanser
Step 2: Toner
Step 3: Face Serum
Step 4: Moisturiser
This step by step order is most effective for your skin to get the maximum benefit from the everyday routine. Cleansing will remove the daily dirt from your pores, toner will then help to prep your skin for the serum by removing any excess oils. The serum can then be easily absorbed by the skin before a final moisturisation.
HOW TO APPLY A FACE SERUM
- Finish applying your toner and wait at least 30 seconds
- Dispense 1 - 2 drops either directly onto your cheeks or on to your hands
- Gently tap the serum onto your face with your fingertips or palms to distribute the product evenly over your skin
- Avoid excessively rubbing the serum into the skin to speed up absorption
- Allow your skin to absorb the serum for between 3-5 minutes before applying your moisturiser
Extra tip: If you find adding a serum into your daily skincare routine feels like applying too much product to your face then you can actually use it as a night treatment instead. Simply apply it before you go to bed and allow the serum to work its magic overnight.
A FINAL TIP FOR APPLYING FACE SERUM...
Make sure you avoid touching the serum dropper directly to your skin, even freshly cleansed cheeks or hands can still carry tiny amounts of bacteria that can end up contaminating your serum. The easiest solution is to dispense serum into clean hands ensuring the end of the serum dropper does not touch your skin.