SKIN CARE TIPS FOR MEN: How you can get rid of your dark circles fast
It’s Monday morning, you’ve been busy all weekend and somehow muster up the energy to get out of bed and ready for the new week. You look in the mirror at 9am to see that your 'oh so fun weekend' has appeared on your face in the form of those pesky dark circles.
Luckily, you've read this blog so you know exactly how these occurred and what to do about them!
Most of us notice dark circles under our eyes due to insufficient sleep but there can be many other reasons why they appear, and there is always a way to combat them.
WHY DO DARK CIRCLES APPEAR?
Dark circles are caused by blood pigments that are not well eliminated due to poor circulation or disruption of the lymphatic tissue. This causes the tissue under your eyes to swell with fluid, making them seem darker and puffier.
The shades of the circles can determine the cause:
• REDDISH, PURPLE OR BLUISH DARK CIRCLES: could be caused by blood congestion or inefficient drainage. Often due to unhealthy habits like fatigue, alcohol or tobacco use.
• BROWN CIRCLES: are a matter of pigment and caused mainly hereditary or due to age.
WHAT CAUSES DARK CIRCLES?
Eventhough fatigue is a very common explanation for dark circles, it is not the only cause. There are actually many other factors that can cause dark circles to appear:
• GENETICS: Unfortunately some of us cannot escape the shadow under our eyes which are dark circles, they can be hereditary. Dark circles may be an inherited trait seen early in childhood, and may worsen as you age or slowly disappear.
• AGING: As you age, your skin naturally becomes thinner which means the dark blood vessels under your skin can become more obvious and therefore cause your under-eye area to appear darker.
• DEHYDRATION: If your body isn't getting the correct amount of water, your skin can end up looking dull and gives the illusion that your eyes look sunken. So, unless you want to actually look like a Zombie, we suggest drinking more water. Actually, before you carry on reading, why not go get a glass of water.
• EYE STRAIN: Straining your eyes from too much screen time, (e.g all those NetFlix binges and late nights at work) can cause the blood vessels to enlarge and the skin around your eyes can darken.
AT HOME TREATMENTS
Here are some super simple at home remedies for dark circles and eye bags to try. But first things first, make sure you're getting enough sleep! Fatigue is a key factor for puffiness so try to implement a better routine- a healthier lifestyle will help you massively.
• APPLY A COLD COMPRESS. A very effective method for reducing swelling around the eyes as well as the dilated blood vessels. If you don't own a compress, try wrapping a few ice cubes in a clean washcloth and gently apply to under your eyes.
• USE A CAFFEINE SOLUTION. This isn't an urban myth, applying cold tea bags to your eyes can improve their appearance. Tea contains caffeine and antioxidants that help with the micro circulation and reduce liquid retention beneath your skin.
• TRY EYE CREAMS AND MAKEUP. Concealers can cover dark marks so they blend in with your normal skin colour. Our EYE EYE CAPTAIN Under Eye Concealer & Moisturiser is a great 2-in-1 solution for dark circles. It's a fantastic eye cream which contains Butcher's Broom, Vitamin E, Hyaluronic Acid and SPF. It's important to find products that contain SPF because sun exposure is another key factors for dark circles.
EYE EYE CAPTAIN also contains peachy, yellow undertone pigments which are proven to be very effective in concealing brown and purple tones found in dark circles. As you massage your under eyes using the metal ball applicator, it soothes and reduces the puffiness whilst applying the product. The pigments effectively cover the dark pigmentations in your skin which brightens up your under eye; making you look fresher, healthier and more awake.
We hope this simple guide to tackle dark circles is helpful. If the discoloration or swelling worsens over time, please schedule a visit with your Doctor or Dermatologist to ensure you have correctly diagnosed the issue and are receiving the best treatment.
If you have any more questions on this topic, please leave them in the comments section below and we will do our best to answer them!
I am actually not a fan of home remedies for the skin. I started using the undereye roll on from refresh skin science